Thursday, April 30, 2020

April Challenge, Fish

The Challenge for April is quite simple and can be interpreted any way we like. It is just Something Fishy.


* * * * *
Carmen Beecher's Fish



I love brilliant tropical fish with their elaborate costumes. This is a Red Siamese Fighting Fish.

Carmen Beecher

www.carmenbeecher.com
www.carmensart.etsy.com

* * * **

Fay Picardi's Fish
   
Carmen's post is especially hard to follow, but I can't not post a fish. Having a husband who goes out fish hunting 2 or more times a week makes it mandatory to at least try. I found this little fish that I started when we were trying to do lion fish. Donna did a great one, but I abandoned mine fairly quickly. I rediscovered this little attempt several days ago and set out to save it.



After some research, I found that the Trigger Fish is the closest to what I had already done, et voila. 
I first did the background with stripes of blue paper, trying to go from dark to light. None of the images were of the ocean, but I wanted to give that impression. When I looked for papers to fill in the rest, I wanted something bright but not plain. I ran across a jewelry advertisement and finished the fish with gold, diamonds and emeralds. So I named it appropriately.  

What's Your Trigger?  by Fay Picardi

I like the effect of the different strips because I can create so many landscapes as I look at them. Ocean, sky, mountains. What do you see/sea?

www.faypicardi.weebly.com    
*****
Cindy Michaud's Fish





I know nothing about fish that isn't found on a menu! But since I really needed some practice with repetitive design work I decided to make this challenge into exactly that.  The underwater grasses are the fun in this pen on paper work.  I stuck the fish in to keep with the theme!  Many ways to skin a cat...err....fish?
Cindy Michaud
art@cindymichaud.com

******

Kathy Garvey's Fish
Gotcha!
16x20 Acrylic
This started as canvas for "cleaning my palette" a long time ago. I used all the colors leftover in my palette and spread them onto a canvas so they weren't wasted. Then I tried to find something in the crazy results and I saw a fish jumping at an artificial lure. I finally finished it for this challenge.

Below is the watercolor I started for the same challenge. It's hard to finish a picture I don't really like, but wanted to get it uploaded before the month ended and we moved on to something else.
Wreck Fish
9x12 Watercolor

*****
Donna Vines

I redid a Lion Fish that I had done a few years ago.  I have always wanted to do another and this was the perfect time.  I had to use an old canvas of an abstract landscape that I had.  The top was light blue and it had a lime green area, a dark stripe across the middle and a dark blue bottom.  I thought it might look interesting as a background, it didn't so I painted the canvas using some really fun acrylic tropical green paint I had.  I had enough for two coats but not three so you can still see some shading.  This was a fun one.





Lion Fish 2

donnavinesart@Etsy.com
dvines1944@gmail.com


Mary Warnick

I have not been painting lately because my painting corner has been converted to a
sewing corner, so I can stitch up face masks.  However, here are a couple of old fish paintings and a recipe.

Recipe:  Healthy Fish and Chips
for each person use about one quarter pound piece of cod or haddock and one medium size potato.
Cut the potato into french fry shapes, with or without skin.  Place in baking pan that has been sprayed
with olive oil (either Pam or from a Misto), spray tops of potatoes.  Bake at 360 for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare fish.  Beat an egg in a low bowl, and grate a little lemon peel over it.  Coat fish with egg and then coat with panko bread crumbs.  If you have room in the potato pan, add fish to it.
Otherwise prepare another pan the same way for fish.
Turn potatoes over, spray top of fish and continue to bake about 30 minutes longer, turning fish once.
Serve with tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges, and be sure to round out your meal with veggies.
           



Fish Faces




Funny Fish

Mary Warnick

••••••••••

FISH
The original sketch submitted for my mural for the Eau Gallie Arts District


The trout were representative of the Indian River. The child in the rain was from Verdi Eco School. 
The mural is still there, facing West. I'm not sure how the trout are doing. There are fewer now than when I moved to Eau Gallie in 2002. I will say though, the water seems clearer lately since our quarantine!



























1 comment:

  1. This was a really fun blog, everyone outdid themselves. And we had the added bonus of a recipe from Mary!!

    ReplyDelete

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...