Sunday, November 25, 2012

As I was going through some old photographs I came across a hand colored black and white photo I had painted several years ago. I haven't used this medium for awhile and I really enjoyed looking at the picture and thinking about the whole hand coloring process.

Hand painting photos is a slow, gradual build up of color that takes a long time and is not appealing to most artists. It involves developing the photograph, using special oil paints, cotton balls, cotton tipped sticks and special colored pencils. You have to add the color then wipe it off many times before the build up is dark enough to be seen. I got involved in it because I love the subtle color of the old hand tinted photographs and post cards from the early 1900's.
This photograph was taken at Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester, Ma. and since I will be there again for Thanksgiving maybe it is time for some new photos using old techniques. Now if I can just stay on that cold and windy beach for enough time to get some good shots.

Good Harbor Beach - Gloucester MA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...