Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Marbleizing Paper for Fun

by Kathy Garvey

For a recent visit from the grandchildren, I ordered this inexpensive marbleizing kit on Amazon. (There are many, but this is Jar Melo Marbling Paint Kit.) 

They had so much fun with it that, after they left, I set it up for a neighbor.  And after the neighbor had fun with it, I set it up for myself. (Note that set up requires mixing the solution the night before and letting it sit in the tray. If you don't do this, the paints tend to slide to the bottom of the tray and don't get picked up by the paper.) Below are some photos from our three experiments with marbleizing.
Youngest of the Grands! 

Her results on paper!

 
My little neighbor was in awe of her design and it turned out just as beautiful on paper.
Since our Pieces of 8 Challenge for February is working in an unusual way with paper, I had my butterfly making supplies out and whipped up a few with some of my results. Here's how one of them progressed!

The colors dropped into the tray.
The colors swirled with a toothpick on the water surface.
 
The paper after lifting it out of the tray.
The paper after drying.

The finished butterfly made from the marbleized paper.
Overall it was a fun experience. The kit is worth it for hours of fun. We've altogether made over 24 prints so far and there are plenty more of the paints. It's easy for kids to do with supervision. And, since you can use any kind of paper or even wood and stone, there is a lot more experimenting in the future.

Subscibe to our blog to see the latest with the Pieces of 8. And watch for our responses to the paper challenge on the last day of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...