Friday, February 28, 2020

Cover that Mirror: With Art!

How many times have you said (or heard said) "oh, I'd love to own that painting but I have no room left on my walls"?

That's pure BS -- 99 times out of 100 I promise you I can find more space for paintings, niches you've overlooked or walls that just cry out to hold new art.  I put art everywhere!  So imagine my surprise when I stole this idea from my daughter-in-law!?  A new one on me but boy it came in handy.

Afer purchasing a city condo I was amused at all the mirrors....I suppose previous owners thought it made the tiny footprint look larger but frankly seeing myself so many times was rather disconcerting. Especially in the bathroom!  Alas, the wall length mirror would not budge without the entire wall being destroyed - a tad out of the immediate decor budget.  So I remembered a trick I saw at my son's house orchestrated by his creative wife.

She had vertically hung two pieces of art ON TOP of the offending mirror without ruining the mirror itself.  It was done with an approriate colored ribbon threaded through both pieces and hung with a decorative bow from the wall board above the mirror.  Voila!  Lovely.


It's a small bath with a huge mirror so I wanted something whimsical and colorful.  After having fun with green shades and texture I taped out a trellis idea and cut two stamps of philodendron leaves.  The stamps were an experiment and due to my texture they had to be painted in some spots as opposed to a pure stamp.  But I enjoyed the process and had fun with it.  This is the bottom panel since I did not have a canvas that would cover the entire height of the mirror.


Here is the top panel of the diptych which also shows how I joined the two together with cup hooks.  We used the top of the canvas as the hanging support and put a couple of nails in where we wanted it to hang.  At this stage I was already happy with what was happening.


And here it is!  Ta-da.  It's awkward to photograph without getting myself into it so this is a side view.    But, the good news is that I can now exit the shower without being faced with a full view old lady nude staring back at me!!  Much happier to see the art....AND happy to have a new place to add art to the bathroom.

NOTE:  This piece is acrylic on canvas and holds up very well under steamy conditions.  Give some thought to your bathroom environment before you hang...if in direct sunlight you will avoid a delicate watercolor due to fade possibilities and if the work is on paper (pastel or a drawing) consider how well it is sealed and whether or not steam will be a factor.  Just a caution....in most cases no harm will be done: hang and enjoy!

Cindy Michaud
questions: art@cindymichaud.com
www.cindymichaudart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...