Saturday, February 1, 2020

January Challenge: Using Metallic Colored Pencils

The challenge this month was to use Donna's Christmas gifts to us--metallic pencils.
 * * * * *
Carmen's response to the challenge:

I found it hard to get a lot of color from the pencils without many layers, so did this experiment using watercolor first. Unfortunately, the best part was the watercolor. I didn't like the girl's face, and I thought about all the paintings I've seen with the heads cut off at the top. I decapitated my subject and realized that didn't work either. Then I added the unfortunate designs in the background with the metallic pencils, as well as the designs in the robe. Some things you just can't fix.

I went simpler with the pear, below. I put down some green watercolor then used the pencils for the rest. The orange color is from a regular colored pencil.
www.carmenbeecher.com 
www.carmensart.etsy.com
www.carmenbeecher.com

* * * * *

Carol's response to the challenge:
6x8"


As an oil painter, I feel I am experiencing a block.  So this was a perfect challenge to get me in a creative mood again.


I chose to do a mixed media piece, using the metallic pencils, alcohol inks, and marker on yupo paper.  No, I did not have a plan!  I did watch a couple you tube videos on creating with the inks.

I found it to be both frustrating and fascinating.  I think I will be trying this again.

www.CarolSchiffStudio.etsy.com
www.CarolASchiff.com
www.CarolSchiffStudio.blogspot.com

***********************************************
Mary's response to the challenge:

I had a photo that I wanted to use for a major watercolor painting.  I used the metallic pencils for a drawing, but wanted brighter color, so I used some colored pens to enhance the color.  More pencil, more pen, on and on, until I ended up with this little drawing.  It was fun, but not exactly great art.

I think the experiment did help with the watercolor, which is almost finished and will be entered in the Splash Show in February.  This is the Brevard Watercolor Society's big annual show.  Hope all who live in the area, or are visiting, will make an effort to attend. It's held on February 15th and 16th at the Azan Temple on Eau Gallie Blvd.

Mary Warnick
**********************
Kathy's response to the challenge:
Right away I sketched up an idea of a hummingbird at my hanging hibiscus for a future watercolor using the metallic colored pencils from Donna. They worked well on the smooth paper notebook she also gifted everyone.
Premio Metallic Colored Pencils and notebook Donna gave us each for Christmas
When it was decided that our first challenge for the new year would be creating something with her gift, I started a little bird in the same notebook. The first image below was heavily influenced by my photo reference of a little chickadee. The second is my attempt to make him a little more stylized. Both were fun to do as the pencils just glide across the paper. 


Kathy Garvey
**********

Donna's response to the challenge:
This was a tricky one.  It seemed so simple colored metallic pencils, oh boy.  Well it turned out that the metallic look just did not transfer onto paper as we had hoped.  There was no real shine to it.  I wanted the metal to look like metal.  I tried several things.  First I had pretty good luck just on plain paper but...
You can see that the metal element was not there.  It just looked like colored pencil.


I then tried black paper but the only way the metal effect showed was if I took a photo with the flash on.  So, that didn't really count.

Finally I experimented with my fellow artist Carol and liked this look the best.  There is paint and pencil in this pouring. 
                                                    
                                                              Donnavinesart.etsy.com
     
Fay's response to the challenge:

This challenge was particularly challenging for me because I am still learning to draw, after all this time, and in addition, I could not get the pencils to give me the color I wanted.



Next, I thought of trying to do a collage to get the needed color, but realized I would have to start over to get anything I liked. Instead, I just had the computer do the work for me. I brightened and intensified the color and called it a day.


Oh, wait. I did decide to take some more instruction in drawing via a website called RAPID FIRE. Just my speed. And in addition, I decided to express my frustration in a two couplet ditty. See below.

Oh little flower. Oh challenge mine.
On you I’ve spent my precious time.

I see it very clearly now.
To draw, I really don’t know how.

Fay Picardi 

**********************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...