Saturday, January 26, 2019

Twenty-Minute Challenge, Small Paintings

Donna Vines introduced me to artist Mary Gilkerson's 20-minute challenge, which means doing a small painting in just 20 minutes. Here is my first attempt, a scene in Florence, Italy. I learned from this one that the subject was a bit too complex for a 20-minute execution!


This was my second attempt, and it went much easier. No buildings or people!


I was more deliberate with this last one, and stopped panicking over the time ticking by.


If you want to paint more loosely, this is a great exercise. One important tip: mix up your paint before you set the time.

Below is a page from my sketch journal, starting with my gym class the other day. Jean Thomas's class really inspired me to sketch more about everyday happenings.


Carmen

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Carmen. Your small paintings are wonderful and I love your journal. Keep going and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Will have to try the 20 minute paintings!
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...