Thursday, January 31, 2019

Challenge for January, Paint a Flower Quickly

The challenge for January was to paint flowers in watercolor quickly and simply.

Carmen's Response to the Challenge

I did several paintings but got 'fussy' with them. It's so hard to stop!
Yellow Rose


Lilies
Pink Poppies


In all honesty, I believe the very simplified painting below fulfills the intent of the challenge. A few strokes quickly applied, and a flower appears. 

Carmen Beecher
Carmensart.etsy.com
Carmenbeecher.com

***
Donna's Response to the Challenge

This was a tough one for all of us impatient oil painters. I have to say that I spent lots of time on this one.  It wasn't a total loss though, through the frustration of trying to do something so simple I realized that I had gotten very tight and fussy.  I joined a 5 day 20 min. painting challenge and it really felt great to just paint.   I think I learned a lot, loosened up and made some progress.  This painting was done after I had painted a 20 minute oil on day 2 of the challenge.


OH Happy Day
donnavinesart.blogspot.com
donnavinesart.Etsy.com
***
Carol's Response to the Challenge

Watercolor is, indeed, a challenge, for me.  I only do about one watercolor a decade!




I was attracted to this image, because of the strong shapes and colors.
Thank you, to Donna Vines, for allowing me to use your photo reference.

I have to admit, I do feel inspired to try another!

Carol Schiff


***
Kathy's Response to the Challenge
I stopped at Walmart on my way to Ralph’s to pick up some lilies and a Gerbera daisy for our flower painting challenge. Below are my results. I’m glad we were able to do this    challenge all together during our session as I will miss painting with The Pieces during the rest of the month.

Kathy Garvey

***

Fay's Response to the Challenge

Now I know for sure if I want to do water colors, I need to take some lessons. Not that I didn't try. I just didn't get the results I wanted. To wit. 
Here is the photo I wished to portray.



In doing a watercolor, I wanted to capture the intense color and the interesting formation of the leaves. The following are the tree best of what I managed to produce after six tries. Although none of the ones I finished really pleased me, I have a favorite. Can you guess?







Back to collage for me!
Fay


***

Jean's response to the challenge

Tried painting from a real orchid, not a photo. The challenge for me is to paint fast!
I tried, really I did, to paint more quickly. 

There is a lot of truth to the expression, "knowing when to quit!"
So I did after the second one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...