Thursday, December 20, 2018

Mixing it up with Elegant Writer Pens!

by Kathy Garvey
Our Pieces of 8 challenge this month was to either create a mixed media work or use a media we seldom used. I decided to collage, something I rarely do, and mainly because I wanted to finally use some wonderful circuit boards that I've been saving for ages. (Some of them are from the 70s and one seems to be a magnetic tape controller circuit for a Univac III. I used to be a tape librarian at the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. Brings back lots of old memories!) Watch for our mixed media blog entry on the last day of the month.

In trying to mix the media as much as possible for the challenge, I also got out my Elegant Writer Pens. And then, after meeting the challenge, I continued to use up my 1970's circuits and the Elegant Writers. I like these Calligraphy pens for the random way they run and bleed colors when you spritz them with water. (Though why someone who does calligraphy would want a pen that bleeds when wet I haven't figured out!)

Anyway, here's the process using three different examples. (Click to enlarge further and be able to read the text.)



When I ran out of circuits, I went back to the birds! I should really quit and work on getting my house ready for Christmas. But painting is so much more fun!

Ralph carries the pens at Ralph's Art Supply and I'm hoping if this process looks fun to you, you'll get some and give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...