Sunday, December 19, 2010

Derek Gores Workshop

Hello everyone, I have been away for awhile but hopefully I am semi-back and after the holidays will be back in full force. 
I was fortunate enough to be in one of Derek Gore's workshops recently. He is a local Melbourne collage artist with a national reputation. If you have not seen his work go to derekgores.com and see just how talented he is.
Most of the students were doing portraits but I was trying a play on The Twelve Days of Christmas, A Partridge in a Pear Tree. The pears would actually be the tree. Well it didn't exactly work out as I had hoped but I learned what not to do and how to better get where I wanted to go, which is the real purpose of a workshop, or so I kept telling myself. So, my pear tree looked more like a pear (prayer) wheel. (get it).
Here is a photo of the very beginning of my first attempt. I have already changed direction and have scraped off some of the canvas.













 and some of the other students work, a portrait















and a landscape











I will not show you my end result because it was very bizarre, very un Pear Treeish but the workshop was great fun and I am ready to give it another try.
see you soon.
donna




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...