Thursday, September 10, 2020

Doodling 101: Taking a Line for a Walk

 Doodling 101, Lesson 01: Taking a Line for a Walk

by Kathy Garvey

I've always been a doodler and I find it's the fastest way to get children drawing and to loosen up adults. It's also my way of not feeling guilty watching mindless TV when I feel like taking a break from physical activity. And, it often leads to fun results or  inspiration for other artwork. 

During Covid Isolation I've had a lot of time for doodling and thought I would write up some of my methods for anyone who wants to play along for themselves or the little ones in their lives.

Here is a totally easy simple method to get started and I think it was one of my favorite artists, Paul Klee, who gave this exercise it's name "Taking a Line for a Walk."

  1. Grab a piece of paper and a pen or a pencil.
  2. Draw the pencil from one side of the page to the other- but don't go straight. Meander, wander, loop, scribble, and zigzag your way across.
  3. You can then go fill in loops, add crosshatching, shadows, doodads, etc. Does it look like something? Have fun with it.
  4. If you want, take another line for a walk right above or below. Again, meander, wander, etc. You can even let the first line guide you.
  5. Two lines are great as they give you a space to fill in between them. But don't let that limit you. There are no real rules. Need a new line? Add it! Let the design grow as you work.
  6. Have fun filling it all in.

Below is a step by step example of my process from the multiple lines to the finished picture.


Most of my doodles are in a sketchbook and made with a micron pen. But during Covid Isolation, I've made some much bigger ones on good paper. The size of the paper you use doesn't really matter for doodling.  It's the quality that can make a big difference. I use anything from 4x6 card stock to 9x12 multimedia paper. If you use heavier weight paper, or even good watercolor paper, then you are not limited by the media you use to fill in your design. 

Challenge: See what you get if you close your eyes and draw your lines. I call this Blind Inspiration because it usually takes me someplace new!


If you doodle anything from this exercise, let me know in the comments. I can show it off and write about it in a later blog.

Upcoming Doodling Lessons: The Robot You Need, Mystery Monster Challenge, Shape Shifting, X Marks the Spot, Growing a Pattern from Seed. 

Visit www.snailflower.etsy.com for some of my watercolors and home goods.

Visit http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/kgarvey for some of my fabric designs.

1 comment:

  1. really good post Kathy. I have tried some of these and they really do work in getting your art brain moving. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...