Thursday, December 26, 2019

Can you paint a watercolor in 50 strokes?


by Kathy Garvey

Many of the Pieces of 8 have been working on our December challenge to create a painting in 50 strokes - or less. Simple! How hard can that be? How long can that take? No problemo!

My resource photo was this adorable Splendid Fairy Wren in a photo taken by Australian photographer Terry Booth in February of 2017. (If you want to see amazing photos of birds, find "Birds" on Facebook and click Like. Almost every day someone posts a spectacular bird photo.)

I thought I could do it with something simple and by roughing it in first, which I don't usually do. Below are where I was with this photo at 17, 37 and 50 strokes respectively. (Click any photo to enlarge it.)
Left: only 17 strokes, Middle: up to 37 strokes, Right: I reached 50 at this point!

Obviously not there, yet! Should have been the end of it. 50 strokes was the requirement!

Not content to leave it at 50, I tried to finish the painting by continuing beyond the requirement. I mean, how hard could a few more strokes be? 

Below are at 100 strokes, still not finished. Then I was up to 300 strokes - birds have to have soft feathers. Oh, and tails! And more realistic branches.  I quit at over 400! Obviously I could keep going! What would I be up to if I actually added some detailed leaves and a few bugs that are my usual?
Left: up to 100+ strokes, Middle: up to 300+ strokes, Right: up to 400+ strokes
Conclusion: BIG FAIL!

While I didn't manage it here, and haven't managed it yet after three more attempts, I can't wait to see what everyone else has painted. Watch for the results on the last day of December on our blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...