Saturday, November 30, 2019

Everything's Coming Up Roses in our November Challenge

The challenge this month was roses. 


I think every painter, has painted a rose.  It must be the most loved of all flowers.

I have chosen to post two of my favorite rose paintings today, with two different techniques and two very different effects.

The first and was done using lots of liquin added to my paint, which produced a soft, almost watercolor feel. 



 The second was done with a mix of palette knife and brush, and does not depict a perfect rose, but in my eye, it is still a beautiful flower.  It feels much more structured.




Which do you prefer?

Carol Schiff


**************************
Kathy Garvey
I have a favorite rose painting from years ago that took quite a few hours to create. It's one of my Mom's knock-out roses painted in acrylic on 11x14 canvas.

Knock-Out-Rose
11x14 Acrylic on Canvas

But, for this  month's challenge, I took a few old photos of my Mom's gardens and a lot less time to create what look like a colored pencil sketch and a watercolor. The technique uses custom brushes on a mask followed by several filters in Photoshop, and is extremely versatile and easy. (Click to enlarge.)


A Visitor
8x10 Digital Print

Yellow Rose Watercolor
8x10 Digital Print


*********

Jean Thomas



Wine and Roses
Oil on Canvas, 10" x 10"

The small wine glass in my painting was made by my great grandfather, Joseph Locke. He was a glass artist first, and also a painter and print maker. He invented and patented a type of art glass called Amberina, when he worked for New England glass company.  Amberina,  a two-toned glassware, was originally made from 1883 to about 1900. It is still made today. 



Also, he loved to paint and flowers were a favorite subject. I'm fortunate to have a few of his paintings and glass. Here is one of roses. (image coming) 

Jean Thomas 



**********************



I decided that paper rather than paint might be the way to go for the challenge this month.  I found some beautiful red tissue with the words love printed on the paper and that was what inspired the collage.  I had to use the tissue in a special way and what symbolizes love more than roses.




Donna Vines


*******************

"Rosy Outlook" by Carmen Beecher


8x10 oil

 "Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it’s always just my luck to get
One perfect rose."


 --from a poem by Dorothy Parker

*****

This painting is of a photograph I made while on a trip to Canada.  We visited the summer home of President Roosevelt where I found this beautiful multicolored rose.  The painting is now in my guest bedroom.  Enjoy.    Denette Schweikert. 
www.denette.net


*
Mary Warnick

I love painting roses, and keep trying to do a better job of it.  Some are better than others, but i keep trying to be perfect every time.  This is the latest one, with this challenge is mind.  I am trying to keep it loose and watery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...