Monday, September 30, 2019

September Challenge, The Perfect Pair or Pear

The challenge for September is to produce the perfect pair or pear. Hmmm....

* * * * *

How Carol met the challenge


I have painted many, many pears in the last 25 years.  There is something that draws me to them, and their slightly feminine shape.  

This is my favorite attempt, although I would never call it perfect.

Carol Schiff


***************

How Carmen met the challenge


Pair of Pears, Watercolor

I really challenged myself and did this one as a watercolor. I was inspired by a watercolor demo last week. It's quite a departure for me, because I seldom do watercolor except in my sketch journal. 

Carmen Beecher

https://carmenbeecher.com
https://carmensart.etsy.com

* * * * *

How Donna met the challenge

I really, really like painting pears and I have done many over the years. 
This painting was one of my first.  A friend wanted some voluptuous fruit which of course included pears.



But, I think my favorite was a collage I did for a Christmas quilt show.  This is my version of a Partridge in a Pear Tree.


This collage of colored papers and feathers is on a neutral acrylic background.  The pears are of course the pear tree and the feathers on the bottom represent the partridge.  I found some unusual papers for the feathers and tree then created the pears using a lot of really colorful papers.

Partridge in a Pear Tree
18x24 mixed media



* * * * *

How Cindy met the challenge

A quick colored pencil execution of a pear with friend (the perfect pair) as I dash off to another adventure...a week of making mosaics at Wild Acres, NC!

How Kathy met the challenge

I love doing pears! I'm still working on my challenge pears, this time in watercolor.


If I don't get them done, below is my stand in for "the perfect pear," one of my favorites back when I was teaching myself a new version of Adobe Illustrator. 

How Denette met the challenge

I painted this for our PO8 member Cindy Micheau several years ago when she had a pear fetish.  Now it's living in my kitchen so I can enjoy it every day.  Thanks Cindy!





Jean looked at "pair" a bit differently


How about a watercolor of a pair of slippers?
I painted this in color, but converted it to black and white so I could see my value range.
Color tends to hide value, so it's a good exercise to do this from time to time.


*****
Last, but ....
Fay met the challenge with another homage to Georgia O'Keeffe.

Bosc Pear 

using Georgia O'Keeffe's
Green Oak Leaves, 1923
Oil on canvas. 12 x 9

You can't blame me this time. My friend and fellow Pieces member gave me a vintage address book of high quality O'Keeffe reproductions. I thought the painting pictured above would make a perfect background for my collage of a pear. As I continued to look through the pictures, I realized  the curves O'Keeffe's used in paintings of the hills close to her home resembled the curves of a pear. Et voila! The perfect medium for the collage. The pear above was cut from the print of It Was Red and Pink, 1959, a large canvas of 30x40, also done in oils, whose colors pleased me the most.  I had a hard time finding an intact reproduction after I destroyed the print making my collage.
      The original abstract is on the left. The flipped version which seems to reveal the sky, the hills and the earth is on the right.
                                                                                           




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...