Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Our Challenge for April, Complementary Colors

For April, we were challenged to produce art using opposite colors on the color wheel (plus white if needed). Click on any image to enlarge it.

* * * * *

Carmen's response to the challenge:
I chose red-purple and yellow-green. A mix of those colors plus white produced the neutral color in the background.

Butterfly Tree
 Carmen Beecher
www.carmensart.etsy.com
www.carmenbeecher.com
* * * * *
Kathy's response to the challenge.
I gave this three tries.
My first was a 10x10 watercolor in purple and yellow using a game I like to play for inspiration. 
My second effort, a tiny 6x6 inch watercolor in blue and orange.
Still in progress a large 20x23 inch acrylic in a blue chosen to complement Pantone's new coral.
A Snail Fantasy (20x23 acrylic on watercolor paper)

Kathy Garvey

*****

Donna's response to the challenge:
This challenge to me seemed made for Cezanne, Gauguin or Matisse.  For some reason I think of pure straight color when I think of them.  To really experiment I decided to do a copy of a famous painting I had done before, Madame Matisse.  I just loved the simple use of color. 
Below on the left is Madame Matisse in Blue and Orange with a little white. (On the right is my prior rendition.) I made her eyes and mouth a little bigger this time to show off the color differences.  I was really surprised when what seemed to be a simple use of color was much more complex. Scary isn't she!!


Donna Vines

*****
Mary's Response to the challenge:

Red and green are traditional complementary colors - opposite each other on the color wheel. I experimented with some others, such as blue-violet and and yellow-orange (opposite tertiary colors), but I liked the radishes best.

Radishes (in progress) by Mary Warnick
********

At last, I am posting for the April challenge. I was recently introduced to Alex Katz, an self defined post abstract artist who is all the rage in Paris right now. Lectures, exhibits, interviews. I saw his work in the Orangerie and at the Louis Vuitton Fondation. His Homage to Monet 2009 inspired my response to this month's challenge. 

 Alex Katz, Homage to Monet, 2009

After Alex Katz, Silver Birch in Spring, 2019
Fay Picardi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...