Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Pieces of Eight Art Challenge - The Raven

This month's challenge is for everyone to paint a black bird without using any black paint. I never really thought about how many black birds there are--blackbirds, ravens, grackles, crows--but I called this challenge The Raven because I simply like the way he quoth "Nevermore." However, any black bird will get the job done. Here is mine:
Sold

I used French Ultramarine and Alizarin Crimson for my blacks, with a touch of Burnt Sienna now and then. This bird was in bright sunlight that caught the beautiful colors on top of his body and tail.

Carmen

https://carmenbeecher.com
https://carmensart.etsy.com

-----------------
Kathy Garvey
I've been working on the crow challenge, a lot! But not so much with paint. Here's my favorite - showing the original photo (taken by my brother Pat when we visited the Everglades several years ago) and the final after a little trip through Photoshop. I'll post some of the others at a later time.


----------------------

For our Raven challenge this month I did two pieces.  My first piece was a collage and that will be posted on Saturday.  At the last minute I decided to do an oil.  I haven't done any real painting in quite a while and  thought it was about time. So...here is my first attempt to jump back into oils.
 My crow is little abstract, a little bluer then I would have liked but that is because I forgot to bring a rich purple with me but that's o.k.  The whole point is to get in there again and just do. He is also a little undone and that is o.k. too.  I would rather he be undone than overworked. 
He does have a dilemma though.  That is a peanut M&M in his beak.  It is dissolving oh so slowly but what happens when he gets to the peanut?

oh oh




Donnavinesart.Etsy.com
Donnavinesart.blogspot.com
                     
                                                                    ************

Fay Picardi

Although I don't know how to tell the male Raven from the female, I have decided that my raven is definitely a female, mainly because she has such beautiful colors and she sparkles. I am happy with her, but I am not crazy about her background. I tried to use yellow-bright green as they are opposite colors on the color chart but I really didn't have the right materials on hand. So I am calling the collage Nothing to Crow About because I chose to do a raven instead of a crow and I am not so happy about her background. 



Nothing to Crow About  by Fay Picardi


--------------------

For this little portrait of a Florida anhinga, I used purple and dark green for my blacks.
Mary Warnick










2 comments:

  1. Wow! You guys are fantastic! I could not choose a favorite as they are all awesome. Sorry, I could not join in this month, but I hope to have my brushes active for the April challenge. What will the subject be? I need to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a fun challenge. It really made me look at what we all take for granted a little closer.

    ReplyDelete

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...