Friday, January 27, 2012

Another Direction

Sometimes you need to change things up. It could be trying Plein Air instead of staying in the studio or experimenting with another medium or going in a different direction altogether. Change can be scary or uncomfortable.  It feels good to stick with what you are good at or can do easily, but change can be a good thing. If you just remember it is only paint and don't take it too seriously it can really be fun.

This is an abstract using acrylics. I like acrylics when doing a more free form painting because you can thin it and it has a flow to it. Also the colors can be very rich.  Acrylics dry quickly so you have to paint fast which can be very freeing.
This painting reminds me of the Southwest and I have no idea why but that is what I think of when I look at it.  That is the fun of abstract it can be anything to anyone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...