Sunday, May 21, 2017

Spring Workshop with Elio

Twice a year I travel to Amelia Island, FL to attend a 3 day workshop with Elio Comacho.   Elio is a wonderful instructor, and it is always a hard working, but fun few days. 

He has a fabulous color sense and brushwork, and is very knowledgeable in all art related subjects, from art history, to technical aspects of paints and brushes.


I love the colors he chose in this three hour demo above.  He always does a large demo, usually 36x48", which is a highlight of the workshop. Please click on the picture to enlarge it and see the brushwork and color changes.


This painting and the one below are mine, from the workshop. 


Elio spent a year working only with  the color yellow, another with green, blue etc.  He did set ups to challenge us.  This one was green and blue.  The theory is, you will learn to see all the nuances of color when you paint objects that are the same hue, but different temperatures and saturation.

I don't think my workshop paintings are really showing any improvement for me, but I do feel improvement when I paint at home.  His instructions jump into my head, and I find I am much more critical of my finished pieces.  That has to be a good result!

I am already booked for his November 2017 workshop in Fernandina Beach.  Want to join us?

Carol Schiff
www.CarolSchiffStudio.etsy.com
www.CarolSchiffStudio.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...