Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Last Azalea, 3x4 Oil on Panel Floral Painting, Framed



The reason for the name of this painting: we toured Bok Tower Gardens and the camellias and azaleas had finished blooming; however, in my wanderings I found this late bloomer. I have always thought of myself as a late bloomer. I started my government career a bit late, and upon retirement I threw myself into my art career full-time, but very late. I can relate to this flower, the last azalea.

I did this one backwards; I had a beautiful gold frame and wanted something dramatic to go in it. That's not how it usually works, but I like the result.


The little squiggly things at the bottom of the painting are Spanish moss. That's how it looks up close.  My teacher Elio Camacho would call that "licking the painting." I like it though--it looks a bit fancy, as befits such a fancy flower.

Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...