Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Project Periwinkle: Symbols and Patterns from Illustrator to Photoshop

by Kathy Garvey

I gave myself a digital project this week to create designs using Periwinkle (Vinca) as the inspiration. (I want to do this with other flowers but started with one of the simplest.) Below are my results so far.  (Click on any image to enlarge it.)
1.) Picked fresh Periwinkle and drew the flower parts in Illustrator and used those to create symbols and patterns.
2.) Drew more flowers, leaves and buds and used them to make more symbols and patterns.
3.) Experimented with the symbols and patterns created so far.

4.) The next plan was to build a poster with the symbols created in Illustrator.

5.) And experiment with different color options.

6. Tried to create the look of an old botanical print in Illustrator.
7.) Added texture and a little age to it in Photoshop.

8.) Went back to seeing what I could do with this as a quilt pattern.
8 a.) Made a few changes and experimented with what a quilt block of this might look like.
8 b.) One possible Hue change

8 c.) Colorized

9.) Experimented with my symbols again in Illustrator for a new idea and took that into Photoshop.
10.) Did what I like to do best in Photoshop, add more pattern!
It was nice to concentrate on just one idea for the week and see how far I could take it. These will be used to create prints or fabric somewhere down the road. I'm working up to doing something similar with my passion vine. They're so much more complicated they should be a real challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...